Sunday, January 15, 2012

Easy Homemade Peanut Butter

Your favorite peanuts + a high-quality blender (with a tamper) = amazing and healthy peanut butter!

We ran out of peanut butter this morning, so I took some of our favorite peanuts from Costco (I'd prefer organic peanuts, but their harder to find than a Santa in July around here -- but that's another post) and threw them in our Vitamix for a quick spin.

Once the peanuts were in, I turned the machine on high and used the tamper to keep things moving.  Within 30 seconds, I had a fresh and warm batch of peanut butter.

In a nutshell (pun, yes!), choose your favorite raw, dry roasted or oil roasted peanuts.  If your from New Mexico or Georgia, your selection should be much better with organic options.  Throw them in your blender.

I usually add about a tablespoon of peanut oil to keep things loose.  You don't have to use any oil, I just like a looser product for easier spreading.  If you decide to add oil and don't have peanut, any other low-flavor oil such as Canola will work too.

Add a touch of salt if you wish.  The peanuts I used were pre-salted and that works for me.

Then turn on your Vitamix (or other high-power blender) on high-speed blend until you get a creamy base.

At this point, you can get creative.  I tend to be a peanut butter purist and leave it alone, but in this case I added about 3 tablespoons of raw honey from a local apiary to make honey-peanut butter.  I have also added a teaspoon or two of organic molasses in the past that darkens the spread and adds a nice taste.  Others have added various spices or cocoa, but you can experiment with what you like.  Add it in and continue spinning until smooth.

When finished, spoon your peanut butter out into a storage container.  I like to use a caning jar for ours.  If you will eat it within three months, store it in your pantry.  If you need it to keep for 6 months, place it in your refrigerator.  Just keep in mind that a refrigerated product won't spread quite as easily unless brought to room temperature.

If you like a crunchy peanut butter, chop some extra peanuts up and set them off to the side.  When you are done making your peanut butter, throw in the chopped pieces and stir.

Enjoy your homemade peanut butter.  It will taste better and probably be better for you.  If you aren't convinced check out the ingredient label on your store-bought peanut butter.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff....sounds like a great recipe for peanut butter. I love the blog...keep up the informative posts as I am learning about all kinds of things that are available. (Just got my grater for Christmas and I am having fun using it.)

    Mary W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary-

      I am so happy you are enjoying it. It's sometimes a challenge staying motivated because I am never quite certain if anyone is reading the posts. Let me know if you have any topic ideas. Researching this stuff is half the fun for me.

      jr

      Delete