Sunday, July 29, 2012

What Happened to the Maple in Cracker Barrel's "100% Pure Natural Syrup"?

I have always loved Cracker Barrel pancakes and they were recognized last month by Consumer Reports Magazine as "being the best".

On my last trip to Cracker Barrel, I ordered the pancakes and an extra syrup as I traditionally do.  Halfway through my pancakes, I reached for the next little bottle of syrup and noticed it read "100% natural syrup" rather than the usual "100% maple syrup".

I quickly turned the bottle around and noticed it is now made of 55% maple syrup and 45% cane syrup.

Their decision to reduce the percentage of maple syrup from 100% to 55% was almost certainly brought about as a cost-cutting measure without having to increase the menu price.  I would have preferred the slight bump in cost over a reduction in quality.

I will note, however, that Cracker Barrel did choose cane syrup over corn syrup and should deserve some credit for that.  Still, it's a bit of a disappointment.

They remain the only larger chain to offer any percentage of real maple syrup and it certainly enhances the overall taste.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Happy to have you back posting! :) Thanks!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete